I’m always looking up new stats about search engine and social media use and behavior for various online marketing presentations, and I decided it would be more useful to share them with the world (and have a convenient spot for me to reference them in the future). So here you go:
- More than 81% of all Internet users find their destination via a search engine. - Jupiter Research, 2008
- 87% of people click on the natural results (vs. paid) & Organic results convert 5.66x that of paid ads
- Organic results convert 5.66x that of paid ads http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/we-knew-web-was-big.html
- US: Google 65.5 %, Yahoo 16.8%, Bing 11.5% http://www.intelliteaminc.com/search_engine_facts.html Google Sites led the U.S. core search market in February with 65.5 percent of the searches conducted, followed by Yahoo! Sites (16.8 percent), and Microsoft Sites (11.5 percent). Ask Network captured 3.7 percent of the search market, followed by AOL LLC with 2.5 percent.
- Only 48% even see paid ads
- People click on the word in results that matches their query word1
- 58% of all queries are three or more words
- 68% click on result in first page
- 39% think that companies appearing at the top of search results are leaders in their field.
- The clickthrough rate on a PPC ad when supported by a top organic listing is 15%
- Based on eye tracking research
- Companies in search leader in their field: Iprospect Study: http://www.iprospect.com/about/whitepaper_seuserbehavior_apr06.htm
- First page of search results: iProspect 2008 http://www.iprospect.com/about/researchstudy_2008_blendedsearchresults.htm
- 39% of search engine users believe that the companies whose websites are returned among the top search results are the leaders in their field
- Videos are 53 times more likely than traditional web pages to receive an organic first-page ranking.
- 36% click on news results, 31% click on image results, 17% click on a video results
- Video & first page result: http:/techcrunch.com/2010/03/10/video-seo-top-google-search/
- News & conversions: http://www.iprospect.com/about/researchstudy_2008_blendedsearchresults.htm
- “On the keywords for which Google offers video results, any given video in the index stands about a 50 times better chance of appearing on the first page of results than any given text page in the index.” – Forrester Research about video and first page ranking.
- Udi Manber, Google’s VP of Engineering, “20 to 25% of the queries we see today, we have never seen before.”
- 94% of bloggers see measurable SEO benefits from blogging within 12 months.
- More than 8 out of 10 internet users have searched the internet to answer specific questions and 87% of online users have used the Internet to get some type of scientific information
Do you have other stats that could be added to this list?
Filed under: SEM