I had a great article forwarded to me by my friends at Oregon Volunteers which talks about how non-profits are becoming engaged in social media and managing the workload of multiple social media accounts.
So for those venturing into social media, keep in mind:
1. You need to commit the time. It will take you 2 hours to create a new profile and understand the network, and a minimum of ten hours per week mantaining your accounts.
2. Create a schedule for yourself to participate in each of the networks regularly.
3. Solicit help (Your interns, volunteers, boards could help you maintain these accounts).
4. Don’t be afraid of making mistakes – that’s how you learn about how to use the tools to meet your objectives
5. Be friendly and personal on the sites (they are SOCIAL media sites after all).
For all of those following along at home, notice how I link to my friends who give me cool news and ideas to blog about? Keep them coming, I love to spread the link love!