They announced that there are two weeks left to transition in case you missed the first announcement six months ago. More info here.
Fascinating article by Randy from SEOMoz about how Google potentially caps the # of URLs it will index from your site.
This is particularly a problem for my team at EWG for a few reasons:
- This organization has been online since the beginning of the Internet, and old reports are still live online. Walking staff through which pages should be live and which could be retired can be a time consuming process
- Until I came on board, they did not have an online marketing team, so that robot.txt file was not utilized (and we are still working on it). That means that for intensive search features, Googlebot will try to execute the searches and follow the results – wasting time on pages you may not want indexed.
- I’ve spent a bit of time educating staff about being conservative about putting up pages that we want visitors to read, but don’t necessarily want indexed (like our references pages)
- And the fine tuning that you need to do for WordPress blogs are intense. There’s a great video here that walks you through some of that.
- Leading all of this is the challenge of focusing an organization around where they would like to be found online. EWG has an idea now, but many nonprofits don’t. Without clear keyword targets, it’s hard to streamline online content to work for the organization instead of wasting the Googlebot’s time.
If you haven’t read the article, I would. And if you have any tools for managing such a challenge for a page with a HUGE number of pages, let me know.
Info off of Search Engine Land:
The Google Webmaster Central blog announced the first new live chat event in over a year. This event is named the “Holiday Webmaster Webinar” and takes place a week from Friday, November 13th at 10:00 am, Pacific Standard Time (GMT -08:00, San Francisco). Again, this is the first one since October 2008.
This meeting is hosted by Senior Search Quality Engineer Greg Grothaus, and AdWords Evangelist Fred Vallaeys. They’ll be discussing a range of webmaster best practices and useful Google tools followed by a Q&A session to make sure you and your site are well primed for the holiday rush.
The meeting number is 574 659 815 and the password is webmaster. To access the event:
1. Go to https://googleonline.webex.com/googleonline/j.php?ED=133402392&UID=0&PW=db339c4e641e0f525412171e5646
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Enter the meeting password: webmaster
4. Click “Join Now”.
To join the teleconference only call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 866-469-3239 or call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-650-429-3300.
Stumbled onto a great webinar I wanted to share: http://www.slideshare.net/toprank/using-online-news-to-drive-seo
It has some great tips about items that should be in your online newsroom.